You know me, I am all about go-tos. Whether it be a recipe or a shoe or a necklace. I feel like sometimes I don’t have time to think about something new. I need my go-to so that I can be creative somewhere else. So this year, I have been making a delicious and healthy Quinoa Bean Salad that has tasted good and looked purty on the spread I have at my various Christmas parties. I think you will love it because it has splashes of red and green and hint of lime juice, and it is good for you.
Here it is. Would love to hear when you use it this season to give your buffet line a little Sursee!
- 2 cups cooked Red Quinoa- (I used 1 cup of dry quinoa to 2 cups liquid)
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic glove finely chopped
- Juice of one lime, about 2 Tbl
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 red bell pepper, quarter inch chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 green onions, root removed, white and part of the greens chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 handful of cilantro, rough chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- Prepare the Quinoa. While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the olive oil, cumin, garlic, lime, and salt together in the bottom of a large bowl to let the flavors marry while you chop the veggies.
- Rinse and drain the black beans
- Chop the veggies- make them the same size as the beans
- Add the cooked quinoa, beans and veggies to the bowl and gently fold all together with the dressing
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- The quinoa can be warm, room temp or cold when you make the dish.
- Let it chill in the frig at least 30 minutes to let the flavors come together
- Tastes best served room temperature or chilled
- Rinse it well within a fine mesh colander and let all of the water drain. And the rinsed quinoa to a pot and double the amount of water or veggie stock. ( e.g. 1 cup dry quinoa needs 2 cups of liquid )
- Bring the pot to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about fifteen minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the little tail of the quinoa has sprouted out. Fluff with a fork and reserve for your recipe.