When it is time to have people over or just prepare dinner for your own family, do you find yourself fumbling around- indecisive about what to serve? I think it is important to have a few recipes that are your Go To Meals. These are the meals that you are proficient in preparing- the ones you don’t have to think about much. The ones you take to the new mom or a neighbor. The ones you prepare when you are having folks over, but don’t have much time or mental energy to try something new.
Having these Go To Meals helps us to practice hospitality. A Go To Meal makes hospitality much easier and more doable in our minds which is where hospitality begins.
This salad is one of those meals. One of my Go-Tos. Easy. Yummy. People always ask for the recipe afterward. You can make it as a main dish by adding chicken or it can be a lovely side dish. Your choice. So how about this week you practice a little bit of hospitality and invite someone over. What is one of your Go To Meals that you could use?
- 1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the above ingredients in a jar and shake.
- For salad use :
- Mixed Field greens- I use the box of salad
- 1 cup Blue cheese or feta cheese
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- Shake the dressing ingredients up in a mason jar/jelly jar. Keep refrigerated.
- Prepare your salad. Sometimes I serve the Blue Cheese and the pecans on the side so guests can add their own. Also helps if you want to save the salad to not have the cheese and pecans in there.
- I also shake and then pour the dressing into a pretty, small pitcher for guests to drizzle over their salad
- To make this a main dish, grill and slice chicken breasts. Serve the chicken on the side.
- This recipe makes enough for 6-8. You can double this easily.